Monday, June 7, 2010

Homemade Taco Seasoning

It's amazing that whenever I make Taco Shells or taco salad I want taco seasoning. I know that here in America there are taco mixes on sale at the grocery store. I know a lot of gals and guys who can't make tacos without the packet. You know who you are. That's okay...but what if you could save a good chunk of change by making it at home?

Mix Monday again and I wanted to share something crazy cool. It's my equivalent to the packets of taco seasoning people buy in the store. It can be added to a pound of cooked hamburger or ground turkey as most taco mix is, or it can be added to a pound of cooked beans to make a nice light chili. The great thing, is that it doesn't have any added chemicals, just the natural herbs and spices. It's great, inexpensive alternative to the pre-packaged stuff. I don't add salt to my mix, but if you prefer it with salt, add 1/2 tsp salt. So far my family's favorite on a hot day is having this taco mix combined with beans, corn and avocado, served cold on taco salads or with tortilla chips as an appetizer.



Chef Tess Taco Seasoning
For one packet (I usually store in a snack size zipper bag):
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground black pepper (and 1/2 tsp salt optional)
2 tsp ground oregano
2tsp onion powder
2tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp coriander (ground)


Combine and mix with 1 lb cooked ground beef with 1/4 c water for taco meat.
My favorite bean avocado salsa:
1 packet taco mix
2 cans drained beans (any kind)
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
juice of one lime
1 cup prepared salsa
2 large avocados, peeled and chopped
Combine all and serve with tortilla chips.
There you go.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really appreciate this sometimes i just cant get it right..

Trish said...

I seriously just want to live at your house and eat all your food. I'm definitely guilty of buying those seasoning packets for tacos. Actually, I buy the industrial size one at Costco. It's just so simple and quick! A scratch cook like me really has no excuse for that sort of behavior. I shall have to try yours. Mmmmmmmm.

Goob said...

And what you didn't mention is how much BETTER this tastes than the mixes from the store, and how much more AUTHENTIC this tastes. Its the Cumin and the Oregano for sure that make is wonderful.