Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Prosciutto-wrapped Cantaloupe in a Firecracker Lime Sauce



It's getting into the season where people have parties! I'm so excited! I love getting together with my favorite people and laughing and talking and cheering each other onward to remarkable and amazing things! In a life where working like crazy is just "part of the deal", the time we get to spend with our "peeeeeps" is what makes it all worthwhile. So here's one of my favorite appetizer recipes from catering and gatherings.

Prosciutto wrapped melon is a classic appetizer. It has been for years in culinary circles. The salty sweet contrast is delightful with a hint of smokiness from the meat.  It is a great make-ahead magic appetizer.  What isn't classic in my version is the addition of a really rockin' sauce. It's not the mint stuff.  Don't ask me why. I just don't like mint with prosciutto.  There. I said it.

On the other hand...This sauce adds a chile and lime firecracker pop that will absolutely take it over the top. It doesn't overpower the flavors of the melon and prosciutto.  Most firecracker sauce recipes are more oriental in flavor and include soy sauce and ginger. This one is completely different from those varieties and highly addictive. The sauce takes just a few ingredients, you probably already have most of them on hand.  The thing I like best about them is that you can make the melon balls wrapped in the prosciutto up to a day ahead of time and wrap the tray in plastic. Then, just before serving them add a drizzle of the sauce. I like appetizers like that, since I want to be in the middle of the festivities with my friends.   So here's the magic... I think you'll love it.

My Favorite Firecracker Lime Sauce


1 cup honey
2 Tablespoons Sriracha sauce
1/4 cup Rice vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
zest of 2 limes
1 Tablespoon Chile flakes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Directions: Whisk together all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Yields 2 cups

To Serve you will need:

1 cantaloupe
24 slices  high quality prosciutto, cut in half
48 frilled or twisted toothpicks


  1. Cut the cantaloupe in half. Remove the seeds. With a melon-baller, scoop out rounds of melon, as you would if you scooped ice cream. 
  2. Wrap each melon ball in 1/2 a slice of prosciutto and secure with a toothpick where the slice meets.
  3. Place on a platter.
  4. At service drizzle the  a few tablespoons of sauce over the melon balls and garnish.


There you go darlings! Have fun at your parties.


Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess



No comments: